Elizabeth George, AIA, OAA, LEED AP BD+C
Collaborative designer offering more than twelve years of diverse, award-winning design experience while positioned as designer, project architect, project manager and sustainable design leader. Dedicated, detailed, dexterous, and strong critical thinking reinforces a commitment to produce quality architecture. Excellent design, research, graphic, and written skills results in effective presentations and deliverables. Recognized for confident interpersonal skills that enable successful communication with project teams and clients.
Q4 Architects, Toronto, 2013 | Senior Architect
Studio Great Lakes / Elizabeth George | Collaborations
Metropolitan Design Studio, Detroit, 2012-13 | Project Architect
DMET Design, Detroit, 2012 | Architect
Archeworks, Chicago, 2010-11 | Editorial and Research Internship
UrbanWorks, Chicago, 2010 | Architect
Perkins Eastman, Chicago, 2007-09 | Architect
Worn Jerabek Architects, Chicago, 2004-07 | Architect
Phillips Swager Associates, Peoria, Chicago, 2001-04 | Designer, Intern Architect
Ply Architecture, Ann Arbor, 2000 | Intern Architect
Nordstrom Samson Associates, Detroit, 1999 | Intern Architect
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2000-01, 2010 | Graduate Student Instructor
University of Illinois Chicago, 2003-10 | Teaching Assistantship
Ontario Association of Architects, 2014
LEED Accredited Professional, 2008
Registered Architect, State of Illinois, 2007
National Council of Architectural Registration Board, 2007
University of Michigan, Taubman College
Master of Science in Architecture, Design Research
Master of Architecture
Bachelor of Science, Architecture, Prague studio
American Institute of Architects
Ontario Association of Architects
Toronto Society of Architects
Community Interface, Knowledge Community, Chicago AIA
Chicago Women in Architecture
Selected Exhibitions | Lectures | Competitions | Awards | Educational Programs
First Prize, AIA Designing Recovery Design Competition, Joplin, MO 2013 | Architect/Team Lead
Reconsidering An Icon Exhibit/Design Competition, Chicago Architecture Foundation, 2012 | Exhibitor
Dlectricity Detroit’s Illuminated Art Festival in collaboration with DMET Design, 2012 | Craftsman
Clemson University: Student and Faculty Lecture, current research, 2012 | Presenter
a.DOT Exhibition and Catalog sponsored by Chicago Women in Architecture, 2011 | Exhibitor
What’s the Frequency Kenneth? MSDR Exhibit, Taubman College, 2011 | Project Manager, Exhibitor
AIA Bridge Mentorship Fellow and Presentation for AIA Chicago board approval, 2009 | Presenter
Accessibility and Plan Standards Lecture for Perkins Eastman, 2009 | Developer and Presenter
Life Services Network Conference: Sustainable Campus Master Planning, 2009 | Research
Chicago North Avenue Bridge, Competition Winner, Phillips Swager Assoc., 2003 | Sustainable Design
CORE, Disaster Reslient House published in Architect, Canadian Architect, The Atlantic Cities
Between Great and Lake: Design for a Great-ER Lakes Subculture, Ampersand Volume 6, U of M
Latent Conditions Emerging, Investigations and Design Methods | Author, Design Research Pamphlet
WORKS: Great Lakes Urbanism, an Archeworks publication | Editorial and Research Intern
The Egyptian Ministry of Culture, Volume II, page 553-554, c. 2003 | Design Competition Team Member
Developing Sustainable Planned Communities, Urban Land Institute, c. 2008 | Design for Case Study
Professional Experience Selected Projects
Village of East Harbor, Chesterfield, MI | Perkins Eastman | Project Architect: SD-CD phases
- Designed and developed thirty Independent Senior Single-Family Cottages.
- Prepared documents, met with city officials for permit. Construction completed 2011.
Karmel Community, Deerfield, IL | Perkins Eastman | Residential Design, Technical Interior Architect
- Designed thirty typical/custom living units for mid-rise multifamily Independent Senior Living.
- Collaborated with interior design team. Managed remote NY Perkins Eastman staff.
- Code Analysis: Confirmed design complied with multiple building and accessibility codes.
- Building system coordination: met with/ reviewed MEP consultants concepts/ drawings.
St Johns on the Lake, Milwaukee, WI | Perkins Eastman | Residential Design, Technical Interior Arch.
- AIA Award: Leading Age Design for Aging
- Designed typical living units for high-rise, LEED Silver Independent Senior Living
- Detailed unique interior architecture and confirmed material compliance with building codes.
Air Force Villages, San Antonio, TX | Perkins Eastman | Architect: concept design
- AIA Award: Design for Aging Citation Award
- Sustainable Master Plan Analysis, concept design for mid-rise Independent Senior Living
- Designed concept floor and site plans and massing options for Health Care Centers.
Park Lawn Center, Chicago, IL | Worn Jerabek Architects | Architect: SD-CA phases
- Renovation/addition for Intermediate Care Facility
- Developed as-built drawings and specifications using sustainable guidelines.
- Managed/ reviewed shop drawings, RFIs and punch list. Attended construction site meetings.
Mixed-Use | International Retail | Food Service
Al Hamriya Souk Market, Dubai, UAE |Perkins Eastman | Project Coordinator: SD and DD phases
- Part of a multi-faceted design team for a LEED Silver Hospitality and Entertainment Complex.
- Coordinated with Perkins Eastman NY and consultant team.
- Led Chicago design team. Worked with project manager on schedules and deliverables.
- Presented the project to the entire PE Chicago office.
Prairie Crossing, Grays Lake, IL | Market-rate condos | Worn Jerabek Architects | Architect: CD phase
CAYA Smokehouse, Wolverine Lake, MI | Metropolitan Design Studio | Project Architect
Great Lakes Roasting Company, Lake Orion, MI | DMET Design | Architect: concept design, Interiors
Wellness | Healthcare
SIU Student HealthCenter, Carbondale, IL | Phillips Swager Associates | Design Architect
- Established first design concepts and followed ideas through construction.
- Crafted a series of sketch models and final model. Designed custom details for building.
- Selected exterior and interior materials, met with client monthly to present ideas.
AtlantiCare LifeCenter, Egg Harbor, NJ | Phillips Swager Associates | Designer: SD-CD phases
Illinois CancerCare, Peoria, IL | Phillips Swager Associates | Designer: concept design
UIC Recreation Center East, Chicago, IL | Phillips Swager Associates | Designer: concept, details
Education | Public Outreach | Other
Chicago Avenue Community Garden, AIA Bridge Mentorship Program | Project Representative
- Team formulated a public outreach project; recognized with AIA presidential Citation Award
- Led design team on behalf of Bridge group and conceptualized design process.
- Authored and submitted proposal to present project at Greenbuild 2010.
FIFA World Cup USA Bid 2022 | UrbanWorks + Populous | Team Member: sport venue imagery
Instituto Health Sciences Career Academy, Chicago, IL | UrbanWorks | Architect: concept design
Common Thread Cooking School, Chicago, IL | UrbanWorks | Architect: concept design
Lakefield College Dining Hall, Selwyn, Ontario | Montgomery Sisam Architects | Concept design